Friday, May 6, 2011

Alabama

A lot has happened since the last time I blogged...

A series of major tornadoes hit the great State of Alabama last week, leaving thousands homeless. As it happened, I watched on TV, knowing that the storm was coming closer and that at any time I would lose power. As I watched it swirl above Tuscaloosa, my heart ached and for the first time in my life, I felt a little afraid of the weather. Keep in mind -- I grew up on the Gulf Coast, where hurricanes are a part of life -- but for some reason, this one really got my attention. Along with my Mother and the pets ( The Mr. was in Canada ) we took shelter in one of the guest bathrooms. I could hear the sounds outside and worried about what we would find when the door was opened. To my surprise...nothing more than a few limbs. We had escaped the worst of it, but I knew that we were indeed lucky.

In the days following the storm, I spent countless hours at the Junior League of Birmingham's Bargain Carousel ( my placement and something I am passionate about ). The stories of tragedy came from all walks of life, and on a number of occasions, I found myself slinking off into a corner to dry my eyes. One person after the next, all weekend long, recounted their tale. And amazingly, no matter the scale of their loss, they each ended by saying, "But we were lucky.".

And indeed they were, just as I was. For the storm had passed, left its mark, and moved on, leaving us among those who made it through alive. I realized over the past week that one's life can change in an instant - a split second - and for that, we should spend each moment treasuring our fortune of friends and family. I was, and am, moved to tears by what this state has endured, but I am reassured by the constant and abiding spirit of good hearted people, willing to lend a hand. For it must have been that same spirit that Julia Tutwiler spoke of when she wrote our state song so many years ago, adding these lyrics:

Little, little, can I give thee,
Alabama, mother mine;
But that little -- hand, brain, spirit,
All I have and am are thine.
Take, O take the gift and giver.
Take and serve thyself with me,
Alabama, Alabama,
I will aye be true to thee

No comments: